(A) History of India :
1. Indus Valley Civilization in India and important excavated sites - It’s salient features.
2. The Vedic times, Jainism and Buddhism. The Nanda Dynasty.
3. Foreign invasions on India and their impact.
4. Important Dynasties of Ancient India with special reference to the Mauryas, the Sungas, The Satvahanas,The Kushanas, The Guptas, The Chalukyas, The Rashtrakutas, Vijaynagar Empire, Pallavas and Cholas- their administration, art, architecture, literature, science and technology.
5. Educational institutions. Takshshila, Nalanda and Vallabhi.
6. Historical accounts of the Foreign Travelers.
7. Harshvardhana and his times. His relations with Gujarat.
8. The Rajput period, the Solankis of Gujarat, Invasions of Gazani and Ghori.
9. The Delhi Sultanate from 1206 to 1526.
10. The Bhakti Movement and Sufism.
11. The Mughal Empire from 1526 to 1707.
12. The rise and fall of the Maratha Empire.
13. The advent of the Europeans in India. Establishment and expansion of British rule in India from 1757 to 1856. Land Revenue Settlement. Permanent Settlement. Ryotwari and Mahalvari.
14. Indian war of Independence of 1857 and Queen Victoria’s Proclamation.
15. Religious and social reform movements in 19 Century in India and Gujarat.
16. Factors responsible for the rise of Indian Nationalism. Activities of Indian National Congress from 1885 to 1920.
17. Rise of Mahatma Gandhi on National Horizon, impact of his thoughts, principles and philosophy on political, social, economic, religious and cultural life of India.
18. The Role of Sardar Patel in freedom movement and post-independence consolidation.
19. Indian Revolutionaries in India and abroad, Indian National Army and Subhash Chandra Bose.
20. Dr. B.R. Ambedkar, his life and contribution to making of Indian Constitution.
21. India after Independence - Reorganization of the States within the country, Major events, Maha Gujarat Movement.
(B) Cultural Heritage
Culture and its Salient aspects of Art forms, Literature, Architecture and
Sculpture from Ancient to Modern times; Salient features of Indian Society,
Diversity of India.
2. Art and Craft of Gujarat: Socio-Cultural contribution.
3. Socio-Cultural context of the performance of Gujarati “BHAVAI’.
4. Gujarat’s Folk Culture and Oral Tradition: Its Importance, Peculiarities and Impact.
5. Influence of Indian Cinema and Theatre on Society.
6. Gandhian thoughts and its relevance.
7. Culture of coastal area of Gujarat, Tribal Culture.
8. Gujarati Female litterateurs.
Features and Resources: India and Gujarat: Major landforms-climate, soil, rivers,
vegetation; Major resources-Land, soil, rocks, minerals, water and vegetation
2. Economic Activities: Primary- agriculture, livestock, forestry, fisheries, quarrying and mining; Secondary-Household industry, manufacturing industry; Tertiary-Trade, commerce, Transport, Communication and storage, other services; Quaternary activities-Factors of Localization of economic activities, issues and problems.
3. Social and demographic: population distribution, density, age-sex composition, growth, Rural-urban composition, Race, Tribe, SC composition, religion,language, literacy, education characteristics. Migration-urbanisation, population policies and issues.
4. Developmental and Environmental issues, Sustainable development, Globalization- process, impact on society and economy, Smart Cities and solutions.Natural hazards- Earthquakes, landslides, cyclones, cloud burst, Tsunamis, drought, flood, climate change, carbon emission, Pollution-hazard management.